This recipe for vegan tacos is awesome for when you’re feeling creative but don’t have too much time on your hands.
Ingredients (serves 2 people)
- 1 large leek
- 1 large red, yellow or orange pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 tsp of dry yellow mustard
- 1 tsp of curry
- 1 tsp of dry ginger
- Herbs of choice
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 5 minutes
- 5 minutes
Total (prepping + cooking)
- 10 minutes
- Cut the leek in two at its base, separating the white part from the green hulls. Then set the hulls aside.
- Wash the white leek part, along with the pepper, and then peel the onion.
- Slice everything thinly. Sauté on medium heat with spices, herbs and EVOO for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, separate the raw green hulls, then wash them thoroughly and dry them with a paper towel.
- Let the sautéed veggies sit for a minute or two. This will allow the spice-flavored juices to flow.
- Scoop 2 tbsp of veggies into each hull and let the tacos sit for a few minutes.
- Top tacos with chia or sprouts of choice.
- Serve with a salad or a mix of tossed, fresh greens.
Of special notice
- These vegan tacos double perfectly as a quick, cool and fun appetizer.
- Any veggie that can be sautéed will do. Go wild!
- A chilled grass of Pinot Grigio or Pecorino wines are the perfect companions to this light and easy dinner.
Hi there! My name is Michelle. I’m an American living in Italy, mom of two girls, a lover of travel, music and good food shared with loved ones. I am a freelance grant writer and a former agricultural development practitioner, having worked mostly in rural Africa for 18 years. I look forward to creating a space here – with your help – where we can exchange dreams, ideas and kindness to start shaping a better tomorrow.