Summer is finally here – and so is the heat!
One of the easiest ways to beat the high temperatures is to get creative with your produce. Instead of cooking everything – or getting stuck with summer salads at each meal – try raw potage (thick soup) recipes.
Here below, we make one of our favorites. It only contains 3 healthy ingredients, requires no cooking and definitely puts a rainbow on your plate! Plus, it’s the perfect recipe to have kids help out with. They can wash the ingredients and then watch the beautiful colors swirl once the blending begins!
Ps. As always, our produce comes from our garden. Buy organic ingredients if you don’t have homegrown ones to use.
Ingredients (makes 3/4 cups)
- 2 large, raw beets
- 1 1/2 cups aquafaba (water found in canned chickpeas or beans)
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas
- A dash of salt
- A handful of pink pepper corns (optional)
- 5 minutes
Cooking time (blending)
- 5 minutes
- 10 minutes
- Wash the beets thoroughly and peel them under cold water. Then dice them into small pieces and place in a regular blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend on high speed for 4/5 minutes.
- Transfer potage to small bowls and let settle for about a minute or so.
- Garnish with pink pepper and herbs of choice (optional).
Of special notice
- If the potage is too runny, add a few handfuls more of chickpeas.
- If you’d rather make an awesome pink hummus instead of potage, simply add chickpeas until you reach the desired consistency. Add a splash of olive oil, a clove of garlic and some rosemary. Then serve with nut and seed crackers.