Mango is one of the most summery fruits around. It reminds us of our happy years spent in Mali, one of the fruit’s largest producers in the world.
So to give summer a happy farewell, try the recipe below.
Just make sure you dice your mango the night before you plan on making this, as it requires freezing for a few hours.
Ingredients (makes 6 ice pops)
- 1 large mango, peeled, pitted and frozen
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup unsweet coconut flakes
- a handful of chia seeds
- 5 minutes
Cooking time (in freezer)
- 25 minutes
Total time (prepping + freezing)
- 30 minutes
The night before you plan on making this recipe
- Peel, pit, dice and freeze your mango. You can put it in a mason jar in the freezer, rather than using a plastic baggie.
The day of
- Pour the water in a blender, then add the frozen mango.
- Blend on high speed for 5 minutes.
- In an ice pop mold, layer mango and coconut flakes.
- Top the ice pops off with a sprinkle of chia seeds before setting in the freezer.
- Freeze for at least 25 minutes.
Of special notice
- Try adding a handful of grated yellow squash or a few zucchini flowers to the mix. If you do so, there is no need to add the water as called for in the recipe. Definitely an interesting way to make the snack even healthier if picky eaters are involved!
- We prepare everything from scratch and fresh produce. So we know where our food is coming from and do not use plastic. But, if you don’t the have time to freeze your fruit the night before, you could buy organic mango in the frozen foods section at your local supermarket. Just make sure it’s sweetener-free.
Hi there! My name is Michelle. I’m an American living in Italy, mom of two girls, a lover of travel, music and good food shared with loved ones. I am a freelance grant writer and a former agricultural development practitioner, having worked mostly in rural Africa for 18 years. I look forward to creating a space here – with your help – where we can exchange dreams, ideas and kindness to start shaping a better tomorrow.