Looking for a quick, colorful and easy weeknight dinner recipe?
Try this one, with just two main ingredients. It gives you a boost of vitamins, while adding a rainbow of color to your plate.
Ingredients (for 2 people)
- 2 large leeks
- 1 lb of beetroot greens (chop off and save the stems for garnishing)
- 2 tbsp of EVOO
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of curry, nutmeg and dry yellow mustard grains (optional)
- Chop leeks – including the green part – and beetroot greens (leave their purple stems on the side for garnishing).
- Add olive oil to a coated pan and heat on a high flame for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped vegetables, salt and spices to the pan and sauté on high heat for 5 minutes, mixing with a wooden spoon every now and then.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside to cool off in two bowls, about 5 minutes.
- Once cooled off, top vegetables with chia seeds and sprouts of choice. Garnish with a few chopped, raw beetroot stems to add color and crunchiness.
- Enjoy with a glass of white wine (Pinot Grigio rocks with this!) and a slice of gluten-free bread.
Of special notice
- Make sure you wash the leeks very thoroughly – especially the green stalks, where soil tends to gets stuck.
- While you wait for the veggie mix to cool off, wash your pan and utensils so you won’t have to worry about it after dinner.
- You can “upcycle” this recipe by:
- using the veggie mix as a bruschetta (toasted bread) topper: great for when you want an easy-breezy, but delicious, appetizer;
- mixing the veggies, once at room temperature, with a huge lettuce salad and some lemon juice: a quick and healthy lunch treat;
- using the veggie mix as a filler for scrumptious vegan crepes.