Autumn is finally here! We welcome its first chilly breezes by harvesting kale, red onions and fresh herbs from our garden early in the morning.
We add these autumn beauties to a few leftover bell peppers from the last of our summer harvests, and see that we have the perfect set of ingredients for a weeknight favorite: quiche. Super easy, oven-crunchy, kid-approved, vegan quiche.
So here is our way of celebrating Autumn, with a wonderful rainbow of colors and flavors to welcome the new season.
Ingredients (serves 8)
For the base
- 3 cups chickpea flour, plus a handful for kneading
- 1 cup coconut oil (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- A pinch of salt
For the filling
- 2 lbs organic kale greens
- 1 large organic red onion
- 2 organic bell peppers
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- Herbs of choice
- 1 cup shredded cashew or rice cheese
- 20 minutes
- 50 minutes
Total time (prepping + cooking)
- 1 hr, 10 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 165 C (330 F).
For the crust
- Mix flour, room temperature coconut oil, coconut cream and salt in a bowl until a ball of dough forms.
- On a large surface, sprinkle a handful of flour. Then knead the dough for 10 minutes.
- With a rolling pin, smooth the dough out a few times until you get a round, 1/2 inch- or 1 cm-thick, base.
- Lay a sheet of parchment paper in a round pan, enough to cover its base and sides (see picture).
- Carefully smooth the dough in the pan, while working it up the sides as well.
- Refrigerate and move on to preparing the filling.
For the filling
- Wash the veggies and slice thick.
- Sauté on medium heat, with EVOO, herbs and spices, for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the base from the the fridge and slather it with “cheese”.
- Fill the base with sautéed veggies, spreading them evenly in the pan.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake for about 50 minutes or until crust turns golden.
- Once out of the oven, let the quiche cool down to room temperature. This will help the juices and cheese settle and the quiche will be easier to slice.
Of special notice
- There are no dough or pan sizes in this recipe as these depend on how thick you like your crust. Be creative!
- Make sure the coconut oil is room temperature, almost liquid-like, so it can tie in with the flour. Also, if needed, you can heat the amount required in the microwave, until melted.
- The quiche can be prepared in a non-vegan version too. Just substitute the “cheese” with regular provolone slices and a handful of grated parmesan before adding the veggie filling.
- The recipe allows for all kinds of vegetables to be used. Pick your favorite from your garden and then have fun mixing and matching!
- If pressed for time, you can always use organic, vegan prepackaged base dough (but the level of scrumptiousness will be lower!).
Hi there! My name is Michelle. I’m an American living in Italy, mom of two girls, a lover of travel, music and good food shared with loved ones. I am a freelance grant writer and a former agricultural development practitioner, having worked mostly in rural Africa for 18 years. I look forward to creating a space here – with your help – where we can exchange dreams, ideas and kindness to start shaping a better tomorrow.