Autumn is definitely an awesome season. It’s sunny enough to spend a morning cleaning up your garden of the last fall harvest. And it’s warm enough to prepare the soil for planting winter produce.
But it also carries that first chill in the air. The one that makes you want to sit under your favorite blanket while reading a gripping novel on your couch. Or that makes you look forward to a whole season of roasting whatever you can get your hands on.
Autumn is the season of returning festivities, cozy family time and gorgeous colors. And what better way to celebrate it than to unite all these moments into one recipe?
Below is a basic, quick dinner idea which is perfect for family gatherings. It can be prepared with help from your little ones and it will leave your hands (and stove top!) free. But, most importantly, it will allow to enjoy your family and friends while your oven does all the cooking! Just remember to use the freshest herbs and veggies from your garden, or buy organic ones from your local farmer’s market.
Ingredients (makes 6/8 servings)
- 4 large raw beets, with greens and stems
- 3 large kohlrabi, with greens and stems
- 2 large leeks
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- salt and pepper to taste
- a handful of thyme, basil and parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp of ground mustard
- a pinch of pink pepper corns
- 10 minutes
- 55 minutes
Total time (prepping + cooking)
- 65 minutes
Preheat oven to 170 C (about 330 F).
- Wash your veggies thoroughly.
- Cut the greens and stems off the beets and kohlrabi and set aside.
- Chop all veggies and place in a glass bowl. Add the stems cut in half, but leave the greens aside.
- Add EVOO, salt, herbs and spices and toss.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place veggies on the sheet and into the oven, leaving the cooking temperarture as is.
- Let sit for about 5 minues before serving.
Of special notice
- Use your kohlrabi and beet greens as part of a healthy wintery salad or simply wilt them in a pan for a quick a side dish. Or blend them with EVOO, cashews and herbs to make an alernative to basil pesto. Get creative so as to never waste any of the bounties from our Earth!
- Remember to peel beets under cold running water, unless you want pink fingers for a few days!
- Feel free to mix and match veggies – just never go monochromatic. Keep the colors going!