Grab your fresh harvest of veggies and whip them up into easy burgers!
Follow the recipe below for an awesome, light summer dinner. It’s also a fun one to make with your kids. Have them shape the batter into burgers – or any other shape – before frying. Enjoy!
Ingredients (makes 12 burgers)
- 1 can chickpeas (8 oz)
- 3 cups red lentil (or whole wheat) couscous
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (for frying)
- Pink salt to taste
- Curry to taste
- 10 minutes
- 10 minutes
- 20 minutes
- Finely chop vegetables, then saute’ for 5 minutes with EVOO and spices. Set aside to cool.
- Blend the chickpeas – along with their aquafaba – and couscous on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the chickpea “batter” to a bowl.
- Add the veggies to the batter, then mix with your hands.
- Sprinkle chickpea flour on large plate.
- Form burgers – about the size of your palm – then pat down into flour, on both sides.
- In a large skillet, heat coconut oil.
- Fry burgers for about 5 minutes each side – or until browned – on a medium fire.
- Salt them then serve warm or cold with avocado salad.
Hi there! My name is Michelle. I’m an American living in Italy, mom of two girls, a lover of travel, music and good food shared with loved ones. I am a freelance grant writer and a former agricultural development practitioner, having worked mostly in rural Africa for 18 years. I look forward to creating a space here – with your help – where we can exchange dreams, ideas and kindness to start shaping a better tomorrow.