Spring is awesome. We have just harvested our beetroot greens, one of our favorite veggies of the season. We have quite a surplus, even after sharing with family, neighbors and friends. When this happens, we make quiche. Super easy, oven-crunchy, vegan quiche.
Here is the recipe below. Happy cooking!
Ingredients (serves 6/8)
For the base
- 3 cups flour of choice (whole wheat, buckwheat, spelt, etc.), plus a handful for kneading
- 1 cup coconut oil (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- A pinch of salt
For the filling
- 1 lb beetroot greens
- 2 red onions
- 1 yellow zucchini
- A bunch of asparagus
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- Spices and herbs of choice
- 1 cup shredded cashew cheese
- 20 minutes
- 50 minutes
Total time (prepping + cooking)
- 1 hr, 10 minutes
Preheat your oven to 165 C (330 F)
For the crust
- Mix flour, room temperature coconut oil, coconut milk and salt in a bowl until a ball of dough forms.
- On a large surface, sprinkle a handful of flour. Then knead the dough for 10 minutes.
- With a rolling pin, smooth the dough out a few times until you get a round, 1/2 inch- or 1 cm-thick, base.
- Lay a sheet of parchment paper in a round pan, enough to cover its base and sides (see picture).
- Carefully smooth the dough in the pan, while working it up the sides as well.
- Refrigerate and move on to preparing the filling.
For the filling
- Wash the veggies and slice thick.
- Sauté on medium heat, with EVOO, herbs and spices, for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the base from the the fridge and slather it with cashew cheese.
- Fill the base with sautéed veggies, spreading them evenly in the pan.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until crust turns golden.
- Once out of the oven, let the quiche cool down to room temperature. This will help the juices and cheese settle and the quiche will be easier to slice.
Of special notice
- There are no dough or pan sizes in this recipe as these depend on how thick you like your crust. Be creative!
- Make sure the coconut oil is room temperature, almost liquid-like, so it can tie in with the flour. Also, if needed, you can heat the amount required in the microwave, until melted.
- The quiche can be prepared in a non-vegan version too. Just substitute the cashew cheese with regular provolone slices – topped with a handful of grated parmesan – before adding the veggie filling.
- The recipe allows for all kinds of vegetables to be used. Pick your favorite and then have fun mixing and matching!
- If pressed for time, you can always use organic, vegan prepackaged base dough (but the level of scrumptiousness will be lower!).
- A quick tip on homegrown beetroot greens. When harvesting these, cut with pruning scissors without unearthing the beetroot (leave it in the ground). Water the beet daily and you’ll then get a bunch more greens in no time!